iLEAPS is calling for applications from scientists to serve on its Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) from January 2018. Three positions will be filled. The deadline for consideration is 1st September 2017.
The SSC is the body responsible for overseeing iLEAPS' activities. Three new members are sought to fill the places of outgoing members. Scientists who serve on the SSC normally do so for a period of three years, with the potential of renewing for an additional three-year term.
iLEAPS welcomes any highly motivated scientists to step forward for nomination. In seeking applicants, we not only look for scientific excellence and a high level of commitment to ILEAPS' goals, but also aim to achieve a balance of expertise, nationalities, gender, and career stages.
iLEAPS is a global research project within Future Earth and has a scientific partnership with the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP). Applicants should be familiar with the development of these organizations and be able to contribute positively to strengthening iLEAPS' position within this environment.
iLEAPS activities are overseen by an international Scientific Steering Committee (SSC – see here for current membership). The SSC represents a broad spectrum of disciplines and nationalities, and includes scientists at different career stages. The continuing success of iLEAPS relies on the input of these people.
SSC tasks include:
- Overall responsibility for the iLEAPS project
- Developing and promoting iLEAPS' scientific agenda
- Communicating with the iLEAPS International Project Office
- Acting as a liaison to iLEAPS workshop organizers and working groups
- Representing iLEAPS at meetings
- As opportunities arise, SSC members may also host iLEAPS workshops, participate in common position papers, and coordinate national iLEAPS activities.
Who can apply?
Any interested individual can apply to become a iLEAPS SSC member. Calls for applications are made on a regular basis. The applications are considered by the co-chairs of the SSC at their annual meeting, in consultation with the entire SSC.
During the assessment process, not only is the SSC looking for scientific excellence and a high level of commitment to iLEAPS goals, but also to achieve a balance across the SSC in expertise, nationalities, gender, and career stage.
Selected candidates are then recommended to Future Earth for final approval.
Please send the following items by email to the SSC co-chair Eleanor Blyth:
- Your CV (max. 4 pages)
- A statement outlining your goals and plans for iLEAPS as an SSC member (max. 1 page)
- Two letters of support from scientists within the scientific scope of iLEAPS (each max. 1 page)